Home

Events and Information

Gifts and Souvenirs

Museum Attractions
Buildings:
Arizona Church
Ayr School
Blacksmith
Centreville School
Centennial Building
Carrothers' House
General Store
Grain Elevator
Grist Mill
Livery Feed and Sale
MacKinnon Law Office / Barber Shop
Mekiwin Manor
Muir Log House
Muirhead House
Museum Ladies Activities Building
Print Shop
Shoe and Harness Repair
Souris Mill
Train Station
St. Saviors Church
Water Tower
Westbourne Post Office

Reunion Information and Pictures

Case Expo Information and Pictures

Related Links

Comments and Suggestions

Water Tower - 1900


Water Tower

Station and Water Tower

When the main line CPR railroad was put through Manitoba, the railroad had to construct water towers along the lines. These towers held about 40,000 gallons (about 180,000 litres) of water and would enable the locomotives to fill quickly and frequently. In most cases, water had to be pumped into the tower from a lake or creek. The MacGregor tower was gravity filled from Jacksons Lake, seven miles south of Sidney, some 15 miles from MacGregor.

The tower is 54 feet high and consists of two separate structures. The 40,000 gallon inner tub is made of 3" thick cedar and is supported by 16' square timbers, 22' high in the air. The height provides the gravity pressure needed to fill the locomotives.

The outer shell, which is not attached to the tub, simply serves as an insulated cover for the water. By having a stove at the bottom of the building during the winter months, the outside shell would prevent the water from freezing.

This is the only water tower known to have been moved. It was moved to the museum in February 1987 and will be used as a water reserve during the summer operation.


Copyright 1997-2000 Manitoba Agricultural Museum
This page last revised April 25, 2000