Home

Events and Information

Gifts and Souvenirs

Museum Attractions
Buildings:
Arizona Church
Ayr School
Blacksmith
Centreville School
Centennial Building
Carrothers' House
General Store
Grain Elevator
Grist Mill
Livery Feed and Sale
MacKinnon Law Office / Barber Shop
Mekiwin Manor
Muir Log House
Muirhead House
Museum Ladies Activities Building
Print Shop
Shoe and Harness Repair
Souris Mill
Train Station
St. Saviors Church
Water Tower
Westbourne Post Office

Reunion Information and Pictures

Case Expo Information and Pictures

Related Links

Comments and Suggestions

Train Station - 1893


Train Station

Conductor

Station and Water Tower

The old railway station is in its typical position was at the front of the village street. The station gives a commanding view of the village from its platform.

This station originally served the community of Baldur until it was moved to the museum in 1975. In 1977, the CPR laid the track between the station and pioneer elevator in the Homesteader’s Village.

The Baldur station did a thriving business long before electricity came into vogue. The station, therefore, has the authentic brackets for coal oil lamps in its freight shed. Lamps in stations were dim because a low burning flame meant less smoke. It also meant less light.

The green velvet chair belonged to William Van Horne. He made an important contribution to Canadian Railway history and the CPR because he drove the last spike in at Craigellachie. He became the general manage of the Canadian Pacific in 1882.

Most Manitobans, who can recall the train era in transportation, will remember waving to the caboose as the train chugged along the track. For the transportation section of the Manitoba Agricultural Museum, the CPR donated a caboose which once operated on the Burlington section of the rails. The boxcar is an original from 1913.

The station master issued tickets, was responsible for the telegraph system, made sure the water tower was full for the steam engines, transferred messages to the train by hoop, kept up the maintenance of the building and was responsible for shipments of mail, groceries, etc.


Copyright 1997-2000 Manitoba Agricultural Museum
This page last revised April 25, 2000