Muir Log House
Built in 1879, the Muir Log House is the oldest and perhaps the most interesting building on the museum grounds. The Muir Log House is named after the Muir family, whose members were early pioneers of the MacGregor district. The house came from just southeast of the present town of MacGregor. It is constructed of squared logs, and an interesting feature of its construction being its dove-tailed corners It is a two-storey structure and measures 14 x 16.
In 1971, the Muir Log House was moved from its original location to its present site on the museum grounds. It was moved intact and little restoration of the log walls was required. However, the interior of the house needed extensive restoration, and this was begun soon after the building arrived. New flooring and interior walls were added, as well as general painting and cleaning.
The furnishing of the house, dating from the years between 1870 and 1900, were arrange by the Museum Ladies Auxiliary. Downstairs in a buffet purchased second-hand in 1908 for $5.00, and a Johnson & MacGregor cookstove circa 1874. Upstairs there is a bedroom and a sewing room.
In the bedroom, a rope bed is covered by a chenille bedspread handmade in 1874. The mirrored dresser is topped with Norwegian marble. Also, in the bedroom are a washstand, circa 1875, and a swinging bassinet, first used in 1895. Used for three generations was the black wicker baby stroller.
The portable sewing machine has Mother of Pearl inset and a dress form completes the sewing equipment.
Copyright © 1997-2000 Manitoba Agricultural Museum