MacKinnon Law Office
The replica of the MacKinnon Law Office which stood on Main Street in MacGregor was erected in 1976. It was the office of J.P. MacKinnon who was educated in Portage La Prairie. He practiced law from 1908 to 1951.
The replica building was constructed in 1976 to house artifacts such as an extensive collection on law books, the secretarys chair, original papers, bookcases, swivel chair and safe in addition to other small artifacts.
The office in the Village is a close copy to the original, which in pioneer times in MacGregor had originally been the Merchants Bank. The moldings and woodwork are thought to be an accurate duplicate. Although the building is thought to be a bit higher than the original.
During this time there was always a need for lawyers; in the early years of development especially for land claims and all other land transactions.
There really is no history for this particular barbershop. It is located in the upstarts of the replica MacKinnon Law Office building. The barbershop was just being completed in 1979. It is typical of the local barbershop at the turn of the century.
Copyright © 1997-2000 Manitoba Agricultural Museum