Home

Events and Information

Gifts and Souvenirs

Museum Attractions
Buildings:
Arizona Church
Ayr School
Blacksmith
Centreville School
Centennial Building
Carrothers' House
General Store
Grain Elevator
Grist Mill
Livery Feed and Sale
MacKinnon Law Office / Barber Shop
Mekiwin Manor
Muir Log House
Muirhead House
Museum Ladies Activities Building
Print Shop
Shoe and Harness Repair
Souris Mill
Train Station
St. Saviors Church
Water Tower
Westbourne Post Office

Reunion Information and Pictures

Case Expo Information and Pictures

Related Links

Comments and Suggestions

Grain Elevator - 1905


grain_elevator.jpg (5526 bytes)

There was a major connection of the railway to the elevator and rural towns. The railway display is set up to accommodate precisely that.

Built in 1905 to serve the Western Canada Flour Company, an old single leg grain elevator stands adjacent to the railway station in the Homesteader’s Village. It was moved to this site from the neighbouring town of Austin in 1976 to help mark the 50th Anniversary of Manitoba Pool Elevators.

The elevator, unique among elevators in Manitoba, has the upper part of the lift shaft and the cupola standing flush with the non-trackage side of the structure, rather than centered between front and back sides.

The elevator was used for 39 years by the Western Canada Flour Company before being purchased by Manitoba Pool in 1940.

It continued to be used as an annex on the main line at Austin until the fall of 1975 when it was emptied for the last time.

Members of the Manitoba Pool Elevators at their annual meeting in 1975 agreed to donate the elevator to the Manitoba Agricultural Museum to mark Pool’s half century in Manitoba.

The interior contains a Tiple-A device for lowering and lifting wagons prior to the days of truck transport.

The wagons would dump grain into the floor, then the grain would be lifted up by small shovels (left of the wagon you will see these shovels), lifted to the upper levels, then the grain would be stored in different bins. To bring it down, the bin number is selected, and the cord is pulled to empty the bin.


Copyright 1997-2000 Manitoba Agricultural Museum
This page last revised April 25, 2000